Monday, July 7, 2014

Prayers and Faith

This journey with Henry has been one of faith, testing my faith and growing my faith, teaching me about faith.  Garrick and I share a strong faith, developing and growing every day.  It is why it was so important for us to have so many friends and family wear the Henry's Heroes bracelets and praying for him and us on the day of his surgery.  I truly believe that having God with Henry, his doctors and nurses, and with us, made Henry's surgery a success.  Thank you all for the prayers.  It truly has meant the world to us, and touches our hearts.

So, yesterday, Sunday, with Henry doing so well, we ventured to mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  It is a beautiful and historic cathedral, the first of the United States.  We were also impressed with the incredible music of the choir and organ.

What struck me among all the beauty was the Gospel.  It spoke to me.  It told me that it would all be okay, that Henry would be okay, that Jesus was with me.




Matthew 11: 25-30

At that time Jesus exclaimed: 
“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to little ones.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father. 
No one knows the Son except the Father,
and no one knows the Father except the Son
and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”


First, Revered William Graham gave a wonderful homily, wherein he helped me understand what a yoke is, and how this Gospel can be compared to Mary Stevenson's poem "Footprints in the Sand."  

"The Lord replied, 
"The times when you have 
seen only one set of footprints, 
is when I carried you."

God is not giving me rest, such that I am retired and my burden is gone.  But, he lightens my burden, makes it easier to go on.  He has answered prayers, sat with me, been with Henry, given us all of you who have prayed and shared in our journey.  We are not alone, not in the physical nor spiritual sense.

The part I highlighted in blue also spoke to me.  For the day before Henry's surgery I had been reading in my Gospels in a Year e-mails from the Book of Matthew (I am a little behind):

Matthew 19: 13-15
13 Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people; 14 but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." 15 And he laid his hands on them and went away.

Matthew 18:10
10 "See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven.

God has been speaking to me.  He wanted me to know that He was watching over Henry, and that Henry's angels, my Mom and sister among them, were making sure Henry was taken care of.  

You see, beyond a faith and belief in God and Jesus, I believe in the power of prayers and I believe in angels.  God knew what I needed to hear, to bring me peace, to strengthen my faith.

God was also telling me that should anything happen to Henry, that Henry had a place in Heaven.  This idea is hard to like, but it is hopeful and peaceful despite my fears.

God is good.  May the peace of the Lord be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment